Friday, February 25, 2011

PALM SPRINGS please...!

With my beloved city of San Francisco in a frenzy about the possibility of snow tonight, I keep thinking of warm places – my favorite warm desert town being Palm Springs.  The Palm Springs Modernism Show was last week and I must say that I am rather disappointed that I missed out again this year….note to self, get it together for next year!

Palm Springs is a magical place for me on several levels.  It is the first place I went with my boyfriend (now husband) when I was falling madly in love with him.  Him being a design enthusiast and having so much knowledge of mid-century and modern design, it was insane to see Palm Springs through his eyes. I fell in love with that city on that special trip as well.  That was nine years ago and since then we have taken countless trips down – sometimes for the day, sometimes for days on end….and every time we visit our favorite architectural spots and places.

While this is about a 5% glimpse at my favs of Palm Springs I hope its enough to take the chill off your Winter day/night and give you something gorgeous to look at!


Albert Frey House II is basically my favorite piece of architecture. It defines Palm Springs mid-century modern design and the thought process behind the house and how it was built into its surrounding landscape is inspiring.  On my first weekend to PS with my (now) hub we hiked up the hill and sat on the rock outside the bedroom....looking down at PS while Jim told me all about Albert Frey's impact and contribution to the city. Check out this book by Albert Frey to get the 411…


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Richard Neutra’s Kaufman House as shot by Slim Aarons.  Can I be that girl?  Right now??

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
as shot by me - not Slim.  Obvi.


Elrod home by John Lautner…..just a fantastic piece of work.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Rest of these shots were shot on my honeymoon….almost two years ago!

Photobucket
lobby @ the ace hotel

Photobucket
pool side - viceroy

Photobucket
tram station as design by Albert Frey

Photobucket

Photobucket
blue skies, palm trees + bougainvillea =  palm springs

Photobucket
random radness.

Photobucket
viceroy @ night

Photobucket

Photobucket
the hideaway - first date weekend :)



And then there is Jonathan Adler's adorable "Parker"....next place we are staying!


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
the cutest lemonade stand EVER.

Photobucket

Photobucket
one for you and one for me!

Photobucket
love all the textures

Photobucket
who wants to drink in a marble encased bar?  I do!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Soundtrack......something by Bing of course - a frequent Palm Springs-er:

Photobucket

1 comment: