Sunday, January 8, 2012

MAKER MONDAYS....Leila Jeffreys....Budgie Beautifier...!

I have a crazy fascination for birds, as you may know.  In particular are the breeds that my grandparents used to raise and show in the 50's and 60's; zebra finches, doves, lovebirds, cockatiels and my grandmother's favorite....the budgies.  Also known as "parakeets".  These native Australian petite parrots were wildly popular during the 50's and 60's.  Many families had them as pets....training them to sing with records and books dedicated to the small, colorful and smart little lovelies.  My grandmother in particular spent many years breeding and perfecting a particular color - a deep blue, violet - in this bird and went on to win several trophies and ribbons at shows. When she passed, I inherited these trophies which I absolutely cherish.


I was doing my bi-monthly check-in/stalking of Jonathan Adler last week and stopped dead in my tracks at these human scale photographs of these special little birds they are featuring in their showrooms.  Oh. my. word.  In instant love with them, I had to know more about the series and artist.


Photobucket
at Jonathan Adler's


Leila Jeffreys is an Australian born photographer whose latest series focuses on her fellow native feathered friend, saying this:


I have long been obsessed with Australia’s native birds. The humble budgerigar epitomises those Australian native icons that live amongst us yet are taken for granted because they are rarely seen as anything more than a household pet. Budgerigars are little birds with BIG personalities. They deserve to be noticed, celebrated and adored. I find them to be stunning and fantastic characters. So I have thrown a spotlight on what I believe to be a national treasure. These portraits are printed human size so that people will view the animals from their perspective, not ours. This point of view reveals more fully their beauty and individuality.


The photographs are stunning and the names of the birds DO make the viewer realize just how much personality each one has and their uniqueness.


Photobucket
Bruce


Photobucket
Cliff


Photobucket
Flight Sargent Chalky 


Photobucket
Barnaby Rudge


Photobucket
Butter Ball


Photobucket
Jimmy


Photobucket
Spencer


Photobucket
Little Holly Squawkamole


Photobucket
Lenny


Photobucket
Mrs Plume


Photobucket
Terry


Photobucket
Vincent


Photobucket
Sargent Chalky


Photobucket
Salvador


Love it.


And if you think Leila is obsessed, well....here are a few shots around my house featuring my fondness for all things budgie related.


Photobucket
my grandmother's trophies


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket
this was a piece I had made for my grandma


Photobucket
vintage playing cards


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket
and I'll wear 'em....


Photobucket


My Mom has an aviary to this day....following in the footsteps of her mother....


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


all photographs other than the Leila Jeffreys photographs by janel holiday design


Soundtrack for these fancy winged beasts is Bob Marley's Three Little Birds:


Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. You HAVE a parakeet wall pocket just like the one I gave to your mom!!! Soooo cute. Love this post! XOXOX

    ReplyDelete