For my holiday table this year I am inspired by Miu Miu’s Fall/Winter 2010 ad campaign. Miu Miu is always forward thinking with their mix of materials, patterns, textures and colors. always fabulous – always with a surprise thrown in.
- concise + clear shapes: simple white dishes from cb2
- unexpected texture: birch plywood trees. I am loving everything from Lovi right now – a Finnish design company that creates “visually sophisticated and enchanting three-dimensional objects based on a patented joint system”…via DesignStory – where they have an awful good deal going on right now with all things Lovi. I would start off with several of their 13” high birch plywood Christmas Trees loading up the center of the tables.
- cool color: all light green Miniballs by Lovi would decorate the trees. They look like little felt origami jems and remind me of those great lavender wool pockets above.
- nod to the past: Rosenthal TAC 02 stemware by Walter Gropius
- animal-life: Miu Miu used the swallow heavily on their Spring shoe line and I would place these cuties (again, Lovi) on every plate with a handmade place card.
- sculpture: loads of candlelight with these candlesticks from IKEA.
- graphic power: these cotton and linen placemats and napkins by Dwell Studio give just the right grounding power and fun element…reminiscent of the cutouts in the Miu Miu dresses.
- hardware: the knifeforkspoon flatware set by Jasper Morrison for Alessi is elegant but edgy.
- one more pop of color: taper candles from Sur La Table.
of course, you need some tunes - my three favorite holiday albums: